Wednesday 2 January 2013

Dairy free left over turkey enchiladas

I look forward to this season every year for the leftovers. I love turkey, there are so many ways to use it.We had no left over turkey from Christmas celebrations with my family this year. I decided I would bake a turkey for New years day. I made a simple turkey dinner and have tons of left overs. I already made two batches of stock from the carcass, I will be canning the broth tomorrow and we will be having soup. Today I wanted to make enchiladas, they seem fairly labour intensive but it is more time then effort. Almost every enchilada recipe I have seen includes copious amounts of dairy. My recipe is gluten free, dairy free/ casein free, egg free, sesame free, nut free and soy free. If you prefer to not use fresh tomatoes you can use drained canned tomatoes. This makes a HUGE recipe, enough for two meals for the three of us, After I cooked it I froze half to thaw for a quick meal at a later date. This isn't too spicy so it is a toddler friendly meal :)



Sauce:
11 small to medium size cored and halved tomatoes (If you are using a variety of tomatoes that isn't very watery like paste you don't need to core unless you dislike seeds)
10 pickled jalapenos slices (I found this great little jar at superstore)
5 garlic cloves 
1 red onion quartered
1 400 ml cans of pure tomato sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2  cup mild salsa



Filling:
2 cups finely chopped Left over turkey (I used a mix of white and dark) (You really could use almost any meat here)
3 cups Mild salsa (I used frozen salsa (Whenever I make a fresh salsa I freeze the leftovers, mine has corn, peppers, onions, cilantro) 
1\4 cup nutritional yeast
(If you have really runny salsa add 2 tbsp of cornstarch)


 12 corn tortillas


Make Sauce
In a large pot put your tomatoes, onion, garlic and jalapeno on medium heat, 
Bring to to a boil, boil for 10 minute, mash tomatoes coarsely 
Turn heat down to a simmer and simmer with lid on for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, take lid off and cook for another hour, Puree,
Then add chili powder,  canned tomato sauce, nutritional yeast and  canned sauce, Simmer for 15 minutes

Make filling
Put everything in a pot and bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer for 5 minutes stirring often.

To assemble Enchiladas, 
 Preheat oven to 375F
Heat tortillas single layer on a baking sheet in the oven until just pliable (About 3 minutes) Cover the bottom of a 9x13 pan with sauce.
Dip each tortilla in sauce place in baking pan, put about 1/4 cup of filling in the middle, roll up, continue until finished.
Cover pan with foil and bake for 15 minutes, remove foil  turn up the heat to 400 and bake for another 10 minutes
Let sit about 5 minutes before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment