Wednesday 29 May 2013

Granola

Today was a good day so I started to parcel out smaller more manageable ziplocs full of raw sunflower seeds. I had ordered 25lbs of raw sunflower seeds to use in baking and experiment with making our own sunflower butter. I was roasting a small batch and got to thinking that it wouldn't take much more effort to mix up a batch of granola to toss in the oven after the seeds were done.
I did a quick google and came across this recipe at www.elizabethrider.com, I changed the recipe a bit to suit me and what I had on hand.



Granola (Original unaltered recipe here)
This makes a fairly sweet granola.

4 cups old fashioned oats (I used bobs red mill)
3/4 cup Organic roasted non salted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/2-3/4 tsp epicure pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
5 tbsp honey (Local)
4 tbsp coconut oil

Preheat oven to 300F
Mix first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Melt honey and coconut oil together, 
Stir honey mixture into bowl, mixing well.
Spread over a parchment covered baking sheet and bake for 23 minutes. Keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't burn.
Let cool and break up into clumps

No comments:

Post a Comment