Tuesday 21 May 2013

Sweet and Sour Crockpot chicken

I have been very ill with morning sickness so I haven't been very inventive in the kitchen lately, honestly we have been mostly eating out of our freezer. This week almost every single of my meals on my meal plan can be made in the slow cooker. The easier the better at this point :) I like sweet and sour chicken but am not found of how most recipes call for a large amount of white sugar. The honey works very well in this recipe.  I got the idea for this recipe from here, but I changed it around a fair bit to suit me.


Sweet and Sour Chicken
1 diced green pepper
1 can of diced pineapple with juice
1 diced onion
1 inch minced ginger
2 garlic cloves minced
2 large chicken breasts diced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Sauce
1/2 cup honey
3 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar (You can use white if you want the cider is just a nicer flavour)

Slurry
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup water

Whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce.
Place the rest of the ingredients except for the slurry in the crockpot, pour sauce over.
Cook on low for 5 hours.
15 minutes before serving whisk in slurry.
Serve over rice or steam fried noodles






No comments:

Post a Comment