Thursday 22 November 2012

Vegan chocolate shortbread bars

I was reading the Presidents choice insiders report today, it always makes me crave all sorts of things. Since I already had supper in the crockpot, I decided to indulge my sweet tooth and bake. I have a sink load of dishes waiting to go in the dishwasher so I didn't really want to make a huge mess. I settled for something simple, quick and chocolately. This is in no way shape or form anything that resembles healthy. It is full of white flour, refined sugar and chocolate. Sometimes you have to live a little though, ;) Everything in moderation right?. I couldn't find any recipes that were vegan, so I just winged it and substituted it a bit.

Here is the original recipe "non vegan recipe" from About.com




    Here is my version:
    Vegan Chocolate chip shortbread bars

    2-1/2 cups white flour
    1/2 cup white sugar,
    1 cup Earth Balance shortening, cold and cut into cubes
    1 cup Dairy free chocolate chips,  (I used 1/2 cup Enjoy life chocolate chips, 1/2 chopped Lindt Dark chocolate)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
Place flour and sugar in large bowl. Mix with wire whisk. 
Add cut shortening. toss lightly with your hands or a fork to coat the cubes.
 Use a pastry cutter, to blend shortening into flour/sugar mixture until crumbly. 
Hand stir in the mini chocolate chips. 
Dump mixed ingredients into 9x13 pan. Press firmly with fingers and level-out.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
 Remove from oven.  Cool for 5 minutes then cut shortbread into squares, DO NOT REMOVE FROM PAN
Cool completely before serving.
Hot out of the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment